Author Topic: [Poll] [IMPORTANT] Future of The Server  (Read 4547 times)

bloxgate

• Supreme Forum Overlord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bloxgate's Website
  • IGN: bloxgate
[Poll] [IMPORTANT] Future of The Server
« on: January 10, 2017, 09:36:32 pm »
PLEASE READ THE POST BEFORE TAKING THE POLL
Poll Link: https://goo.gl/forms/u1JX9HyaIr4mYxe03

You will have to sign in to the poll, this is to help prevent duplicate responses. The poll will close on February 1.

Hello everyone! Myself, @Bert John and @kevinminion have been doing a lot of discussion about the future of the server lately. Due to personal reasons, Bert is unable to continue hosting the server in the future. Please do not ask for more details, it is up to Bert to share that with us if he wishes to.

As we don't want to have another period of prolonged downtime, the three of us have been working on a solution to this problem. After some discussion on the staff forum that really didn't go anywhere, I've been forced to make a decision with very little input. As such, I'm putting together a small poll to get more input before we finalize anything.

Our current plan is to upgrade the server to a new box on a new host before our current hosting plan runs out. This will help with a lot of the performance problems we have been having as of late, however it also doubles the current server bill. We are currently unable to pay for this entirely on our own, and our existing donation method has not been working so well. Due to this, I have decided to look into setting up a Patreon for the server. This would allow us to set multiple goals, and setup recurring donations. Donation benefits would be reworked slightly during the move. Existing donators would be able to keep their current perks for an as of yet undetermined period of time (I'm currently leaning towards at least 6 months).

We also want to get some community input as we've noticed several community members seem to be having some concerns about the server as of late. The last section of the poll has several questions regarding your experiences with the community and staff, and room for any suggestions you may have.

Additionally, we have been made aware that a few people have not yet received donator benefits. If you are one of these people please contact us ASAP and we will verify your donation and then give you your benefits. I will ping a few people that we believe may not yet have received their benefits below.
@Deadly Gageybage:P

Please take your time when filling out the form, and be as honest as possible.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 11:08:24 pm by bloxgate »

Bert John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • IGN: Bert John
Re: [Poll] [IMPORTANT] Future of The Server
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 05:30:04 am »
To make things easier for blox and you all to understand, my intention at first getting my job was:

-Buy new stuff for myself, new clothing as the old ones are YEARS old and small.
-Buy a new bed, a new desk, new chair, new dresser, etc. iv done like half of these in 10 months.
-Buy a amazing server box, in similar quality if not better than my computer(i7 6700k @ 4.0ghz/32gb of ddr4 ram/gtx 1080/SSD)

However, Iv hardly been able to complete any of these goals for one reason:

TOO MANY BILLS.

My rent is 500$ Monthly, Then 80$ for rides, then another 60$~ For food monthly, excluding any amount of junk food(Which is usually 30$~60$~), then i got netflix, crunchyroll, funimation bills, and last but not least, the server at like 50$ Monthly.

Add that all together, im spending almost 800$ a month. That leaves me with only 300-400$ left in the bank per month. And with the recent purchase of a new bed, and acquiring a new chair as a christmas present, im now broke relatively again. thus im cutting some expenses like my funimation and server bills, cutting back on some junk food so i can finish more of my goals.

Now, For the current server, i am still paying for january, and probably feb, but ill probably be stopping the billing there. The account still has an extra 35$ in it so it'l last another month after my billing stops but thats it. ill be notifying blox when i cancel my billing so he can begin backing stuff up appropriately.

I personally would like to pass hosting over to someone else like @kevinminion who is the biggest donator we have, but i haven't heard back from him at all on that thought.

Lastly, i will still pitch in donations every once in awhile, but reoccuring payments of 60$ is a  no go from me, i can spare some money but not that all the time. like i wouldnt be opposed to setting up a 10$ CAD reoccurring donation for the patreon either.