Author Topic: New Spacebuild Roleplay and Other Relveant Ideas  (Read 12883 times)

RendStung

• Starting Member
    • View Profile
  • IGN: RendStung
New Spacebuild Roleplay and Other Relveant Ideas
« on: June 30, 2017, 10:49:42 pm »
Recently I have gotten the idea of heavily modifying DarkRP into a new Spacebuild RP. I will try to put the more interesting or important ideas at the top of the list. These are my ideas:

•Add a looting system/more reason to blow people up.
    I. Perhaps have a parent object which is invisible that spawns a child object (storage device) inside of it.
    II. Make the child prop invulnerable to all damage until the parent is destroyed. When that happens the           child will become independent and free from all prop protection, allowing it to be wreckage from ships that can be salvaged or stolen for the resources stored inside.

•Make noclip obsolete with hoverchair entities that can be used to build with, but useless for most other purposes.
   I. It could be a simple vehicle used with the weapon in vehicle addon to build and have some hovering abilities.

•Utilize DarkRP functions like the store and dealers to sell things mined from asteroids or scrapped from ships.
  I. Price the absolute basics for a tiny ship free, but limited to a small amount like one resource node and one small resource cache.
  II. Make items go up in price with their effectivity or storage capacity.
  III. Nerf wiremod so that players can't use their small water pump generate five million water per second.
  IV. Leave the barren skeletons of wrecked ships as frozen props that can be scrapped (maybe with mining drills) depending on either size or mass and give resources that can be sold accordingly. This will have to be further thought into as players could just spawn a basic prop and then mine it for free resources.
  V. Add aditional entities like the hover chair to replace essential functions to the store.

•Give some sort of jobs/factions thing.
  I. Utilize unused SBEP ragdolls by giving appropriate jobs for the models(and maybe animating them if they have none.)
  II. People who have been around the server for long enough (or other criteria) can request for a faction to be made. The creator will be the faction leader and will have the job for that faction given to them. From there they will have the ability to invite players to specific jobs within their specific faction.
  III. Maybe have a name prefix system that is associated to the player's common actions such as things like mining, scrapping, or piracy.
  IV. Add space police. Either a job that people can go for with preset ships for free, or entities that fly around like a grob but with more advanced AI.
•Utilize unused SBEP props.
  I. DarkRP has a built-in hunger function, and SBEP has food props!
  II. Custom weapons using the SBEP weapons models. Maybe even replace default models of HL2 weapons or edit the guns that come with the DarkRP addon.
  III. This may be pushing it, but script some of the stuff that has never been used no matter where you look. Such as the sattelites or some of the weapons.
•Find a suitable map or make a map that would work well with this.
  I. I feel that when this is done (if anyone even starts it) that normal spacebuild maps will not work very well and it is likely that we will need to create  a map that fits the exact needs of the gamemode with several habitable planets that are spawn points for different species/factions.
•Maybe add some things for people to do when no one else is on, such as ships manned by NPCs that won't attack spawn planets and other entertaining things that people can enjoy and still get money from doing.

I was talking about this with Shifty and he liked it. I'd like to see what others would think so please respond on your opinion or other ideas for this.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 08:39:13 am by RendStung »
Just call me Rend. DO NOT CALL ME STUNG WHATEVER YOU DO!

kevinminion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • IGN: Kevin Minion
Re: New Spacebuild Roleplay and Other Relveant Ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 03:32:18 am »

@Shifty @RendStung

I'm not going to reply point-for-point, but I like the idea overall. 

Factions / Jobs:  This had been implemented before, but a gmod update broke it.  I think @Keeves would like to see it back on the server as well.  @bloxgate maybe you can send me the name / link of that mod?

Store / Money:  Maybe start small and just use the SB Mining Addon resources at first?  I feel this add-on is underutilized and may lend itself well to this since players can't spawn in SBMA resources (to my knowledge) and the storage devices already exist.  Would reset to zero when you disconnect?

Other tasks:  The grob are a good multiplayer task, but I agree that trying to battle a fleet of them versus 1 player usually results in a quick death.

Bert John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • IGN: Bert John
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 04:05:35 am »
A long time ago, On a garrys mod 12 server not too different from this one.

There used to be Factions, And "Ice Mining & Refining". These asteroids weren't able to be teleported and required special devices and transport to be harvested. You would then take the refined resource to a terminal on earth and sell the ice for a profit. This money would go into your factions bank to pay for ship core upgrades.

What happened to it, iirc it broke.

bloxgate

• Supreme Forum Overlord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bloxgate's Website
  • IGN: bloxgate
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 06:27:46 am »
Factions / Jobs:  This had been implemented before, but a gmod update broke it.  I think @Keeves would like to see it back on the server as well.  @bloxgate maybe you can send me the name / link of that mod?
If I can find it sure. Do note that any copy I find to send to you will likely before any of my attempts at fixing it/removing gmod12 code.

Other tasks:  The grob are a good multiplayer task, but I agree that trying to battle a fleet of them versus 1 player usually results in a quick death.
Good. It was never intended that 1 person could beat the grob by themselves. The overlords do have over 3.75 million effective armor after all. :P

101 154 154 040 150 141 151 154 040 164 150 145 040 107 162 157 142 055 115 157 164 150 145 162 154 157 162 144

A long time ago, On a garrys mod 12 server not too different from this one.

There used to be Factions, And "Ice Mining & Refining". These asteroids weren't able to be teleported and required special devices and transport to be harvested. You would then take the refined resource to a terminal on earth and sell the ice for a profit. This money would go into your factions bank to pay for ship core upgrades.

What happened to it, iirc it broke.
I think I remember that one. Spaceage.eu right? I thought they survived to GMod13 but then slowly died off. Anyway, if we're going to have purchasable ship core upgrades, I'd like to get the core of SC3 done. Those of you "in the know" will (hopefully) realize why.

@Rend +infinity towards making the unused SBEP player weapons into SWEPs. I want my laser AK-47! I do have to agree with Kevin though. Starting small and using existing features where available would really help get this off the ground quickly and then you'd be able to focus on fully replacing things.

EDIT: MFW someone uses IIII and IIIII as Roman Numerals.  :'(
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 06:45:18 am by bloxgate »

RendStung

• Starting Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 08:40:27 am »
@bloxgate I have no idea how I managed to screw something as simple as roman numerals up. I made sure to fix it.

RendStung

• Starting Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 08:46:34 am »
@kevinminion For the factions and money, DarkRP has scripts in it to handle that. The whole idea would be to edit DarkRP. Also, one thing I needed to note is the question if it should be for Spacebuild 3, or an open framework ready for Spacebuild 4 when it is ready.

Also, more detail with the idea of space NPCs, all but the space police would likely be weak allowing newer players to take them down. Maybe make the space police very slow in order for newer players who are not armed enough to try to run.

Oh, and Spacebuild 4 will have a lot of stuff within official, including mining and damage/weapon systems.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 08:48:06 am by RendStung »

bloxgate

• Supreme Forum Overlord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bloxgate's Website
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 10:58:19 am »
Just use the new SB addon format that's supposed to be compatible with all versions.

RendStung

• Starting Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 11:20:32 am »
Okay.

RendStung

• Starting Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 03:26:29 pm »
NEW IDEA: Use money as it's own resource which can be looted like everything else, can be processed from ore in the right machine, and can be traded from traders. I think using it as a resource would probably be the best idea out of these three.

RendStung

• Starting Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 03:59:16 pm »
I've searched for this "Custom Addon Framework" but have found nothing. When it comes to in game, more specifically the menu, all tabs are completely blank. I'm not sure if it's just me or if I need to find it elsewhere.

bloxgate

• Supreme Forum Overlord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bloxgate's Website
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 05:37:53 pm »
You'll have to read the code to figure out how it works. There isn't that much documentation sitting around anymore.

RendStung

• Starting Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 03:10:59 pm »
@bloxgate, I started working on that Laser AK47 you wanted. Here's a picture that shows it not working.

bloxgate

• Supreme Forum Overlord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bloxgate's Website
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 04:08:01 pm »
Nice work so far @RendStung can't wait to see what it looks like when finished.

RendStung

• Starting Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 06:01:29 pm »
I've experimented with a lot of stuff and have not gotten far. I have two questions:
Does the base weapon folder in the base gamemode work?
Does a weapon based off of that need specific models for world and player/not use physics prop model?

bloxgate

• Supreme Forum Overlord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bloxgate's Website
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 08:52:38 pm »
Does the base weapon folder in the base gamemode work?

I think it does but it does exactly nothing. There are some good tutorials out there for making SWEPS.

Does a weapon based off of that need specific models for world and player/not use physics prop model?

I believe so. If you get lucky there might be some for the weapons buried in the SBEP files somewhere.