Author Topic: Prop Resizer?  (Read 8894 times)

XTrollMaster

Prop Resizer?
« on: December 14, 2016, 10:59:24 pm »
Hey blox I just started making my new lantean corvette, and I ran into a problem when building the ship. I needed a bigger version of a prop and there was only one size of the model, so I needed to use the Prop Resizer in order to get the correct size of the prop (and btw I built the ship in sp to achieve this). I would like to ask if you could see into adding the Prop Resizer stool, not just for me or my ships, but to other players who might require the use of the tool. I understand if you are not in a position to add anymore plugins to the server. I know the server has been having some problems lately, but when you feel that the server is fixed back to its glorious state, could you consider about adding that tool? Not just me, but others might appreciate it as well. Thanks for taking my post into consideration. Have a good day/night :)

bloxgate

• Supreme Forum Overlord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bloxgate's Website
  • IGN: bloxgate
Re: Prop Resizer?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 11:08:45 am »
@XTrollMaster I presume you are talking about https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=116892991?

If so, it doesn't resize the hitbox of the prop. If you can find one that does I'll consider adding it, otherwise its not an option. We have enough problems with people finding ways to make their ship non-solid to weapons already.

XTrollMaster

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 07:33:23 pm »
Oops, my bad, I meant the Collision Resizer stool. That one actually changes not only the prop/models size, but it also changes the prop/models hitbox accordingly with the size you select. Here's a link to the tool: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=217376234&searchtext=Collision+Resizer

bloxgate

• Supreme Forum Overlord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bloxgate's Website
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 08:59:02 am »
@XTrollMaster A few more questions. It mentions that parts with lots of convex pieces may cause problems. Not sure how many of our players ships meet that criteria, but do you know how big of a performance impact that has?
 Also, it says that a lot of resized parts in dupes can have a big CPU impact. As CPU is going to be a limiting factor on the server for a while yet, do you know how big of an impact it actually has when duping?

XTrollMaster

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 03:42:47 pm »
Well when I spawn my ships in SP I get a frame drop (depending on the size I set it to) for like 3-4 seconds, usually from like 80 to 50-55fps.  However I do not know how the server will handle this, other players though may have some issues especially if they have old computers *cough* toasters *ahem*. I have tried testing with most of the SBEP models, and I have found that if you take a model and make it 10x the size then you'll freeze for a moment, so I suggest if anyone uses this tool they up the size by a small amount at one time. Like for my ship I only needed one model to be 0.5% bigger as I move to the rear of the ship so it didn't give me any issues. If you would like the see the ship I built then here it is: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=818528020
The models I used with the Collision Resizer were the hull on the left and right side of the ship.

bloxgate

• Supreme Forum Overlord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bloxgate's Website
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 07:03:19 pm »
Yeah a 30fps drop isn't really acceptable. Sorry

XTrollMaster

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 05:43:17 pm »
Not ever for like 2-3 seconds?

bloxgate

• Supreme Forum Overlord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bloxgate's Website
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 12:55:38 am »
Not really, no. If that's the drop you're getting in single player then it'll likely drop the server's FPS down a fair bit and cause lag for everyone and everything. If there were convars to limit the size/number of scaled props, I'd be all for it, but It don't see any.

(Edit: and there seems to be very little, if any interest in this from anyone else)

kevinminion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • IGN: Kevin Minion
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 06:27:51 am »
Why not recreate the prop at the size you want and have Blox upload it to the server?  It would eliminate putting on yet another tool.

bloxgate

• Supreme Forum Overlord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bloxgate's Website
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 01:17:01 pm »
Yeah, that is an option @kevinminion, though from the last time I did modeling it might be a bit hard. We might just be better off asking the creator of the tool to add some limiting convars to it.

XTrollMaster

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 07:51:06 pm »
Ok I want to say one more thing, I meant that you'll only get an fps drop if you take a model and scale it up 10x its normal size, that will freeze your game. If you scale it up slowly there will be little to no lag at all. If you could put a limit on the scaling factor then it would help so much.

bloxgate

• Supreme Forum Overlord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bloxgate's Website
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 03:05:46 pm »
Keep in mind people may very well dupe in things composed of many scaled props. And that there are severe issues if any of these props ever collide, as mentioned in the workshop description.

XTrollMaster

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 10:53:29 pm »
Yea, we need to find a way to put a limit on the scaling so people don't abuse it.

Bert John

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • IGN: Bert John
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 02:09:25 pm »
Yea, we need to find a way to put a limit on the scaling so people don't abuse it.

Some kind of limiter or not, It'd still cause problems.

This tool isn't fit for SB, Maybe sandbox where most things are Static, But not SB where everything is almost based upon dynamic gameplay.

bloxgate

• Supreme Forum Overlord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bloxgate's Website
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 02:28:50 pm »

Some kind of limiter or not, It'd still cause problems.

This tool isn't fit for SB, Maybe sandbox where most things are Static, But not SB where everything is almost based upon dynamic gameplay.
Yeah, I'm also rather concerned about what would happen when things collide given the addon's description. As much as we try and prevent it people still ram on accident, and it seems like this would make it all that much easier for a ram to crash the server.

I'm voting no on this one.